Thursday, August 27, 2009

Rate of decline in the usage of OS 2.x

I use Pinch Media's libraries in some of the apps that I develop. Even if you don't use their library, it is worth signing up on their site just to get their weekly statistic reports. Every week they send out a report telling you various things, including what OS version people are running across all the stats they collect. Currently they report that 2.x usage is at about 23%. As a developer, that kind of sucks. It would be so much easier if you didn't have to consider the 2.x crowd.

I'm a bit of a statistics and spreadsheet junkie. And I was curious about the rate of decline and what that would mean for the future. More importantly, at what point can I ignore the 2.x users because they are less than 1% or something close to that. The answer is... Thanksgiving. If the trend continues at a steady rate (it won't), then there will be almost no 2.x users by the first week of December - well, less than 1%.

To me that says that if you are currently developing a new app, don't even worry about the 2.x folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment